The city said positive tests were traced to people involved in organizing the debate

A new report shows that at least 11 members of the press and organizers at the presidential debate in Cleveland tested positive for coronavirus, according to NBC.

The city of Cleveland and the clinic that hosted the debate between President Donald Trump and his Democratic challenger Joe Biden on Tuesday said that anyone who attended the event should get tested and self-isolate.

US President Donald Trump (R) and former Vice President and Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden participate in the first presidential debate at the Health Education Campus of Case Western Reserve University on September 29, 2020 in Cleveland, Ohio. (Photo by Olivier Douliery-Pool/Getty Images)

“The City of Cleveland is aware of positive cases of Covid-19 following the Sept. 29 presidential debate,” according to a City Hall statement.

“We advise anyone who has come in contact with someone who has tested positive to self-quarantine. If anyone who was in attendance has concerns or is symptomatic, they should contact their healthcare provider.”

Read More: Joe Biden tests negative for COVID-19, says he learned about Trump positive test through media

As theGrio previously reported, news broke that Trump and his wife, First Lady Melania Trump, have both tested positive for COVID-19, with Trump was transported to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on Friday.

The Cleveland Clinic, which followed COVID-19 prevention protocols as the host for the debate was “confident that guests at Tuesday night’s event were safe from the coronavirus,” NBC News reported.

“Based on what we know about the virus and the safety measures we had in place, we believe there is low risk of exposure to our guests,” the Cleveland Clinic said in a statement.

“In total, at this time, we are aware of 11 cases stemming from pre-debate planning and set-up, with the majority of cases occurring among out of state residents,” the city said.

Story continues

“At this time, though that could change, no City residents appear to have contracted the virus as a result of this event.”

Read More: Trump going to military hospital after COVID-19 diagnosis

The city further stated that the 11 people referenced in the report did not actually enter the debate hall that night.

“These individuals were either members of the media or were scheduled to work logistics/set-up in the days prior to the event,” Clinic said Friday night.

“Individuals did not receive credentials or tickets to enter the debate hall until they had a negative test, and all were advised to isolate while they awaited their test results.”

Have you subscribed to theGrio’s podcast “Dear Culture”? Download our newest episodes now!

The post New COVID-19 cases linked to Cleveland Presidential debate appeared first on TheGrio.



Source link

Topics #cases #Cleveland #COVID19 #debate #linked #presidential